History of the Lodge
Oo Yum Buli Lodge 468
A committee of three Arrowmen, Frank Harris, Gil Talmadge, and Arthur Meyer, who resided within the boundaries of the Mt. Diablo Council, but who had originally been inducted into older Lodges, organized the Lodge. Having received approval to form a new Lodge, the three founders, along with 37 candidates, met at San Francisco’s Camp Lilienthal on the weekend of January 9th and 10th, 1952, where Royaneh Lodge conducted the installation ceremony. The Lodge totem was the Golden Eagle. Each of Buli’s patches had this totem as well as four colored rays, representing the four villages. Oo Yum Buli used the Costanoan language for all of its Vigil Honor names and other Lodge terms. Oo Yum Buli means “Spirit Peak,” a synonym for Mount Diablo. The local Native Americans called the mountain PUY, which means “Evil Spirits”, or KAH WOO KOOM, or “Laughing Mountain.” Oo Yum Buli was honored with many awards, receiving the “Most Indian Award” four times in 1969, 1972, 1976, and 1984. The Section Conclave Award was received in 1983. At the 1986 NOAC, Buli’s Ceremonies Team received top awards, and at the 1988 NOAC, Buli received first place for their Brotherhood Ceremony. That year they also received top honors for the four principals.
In 1994, Oo Yum Buli Lodge #468 merged with Swegedaigea Lodge #263 to form the New Lodge Ut-In Sélica Lodge #58. The new Lodge’s name means “Twin Spirits” in the Costanoan language, and the new Lodge flap echoes that by including images of the former Lodge totems, the Golden Eagle and the Golden Hawk. The new Lodge chose the California Grizzly Bear as its new totem, and it also appears on the Lodge flap.
Swegedaigea Lodge 263
The Lodge was chartered in Silverado Area Council in June of 1944. The first totem was the Eagle, but that was soon changed to the Golden Hawk. Swegedaigea was active in area 12B and moved to Area 12C in 1955. Swegedaigea hosted its first Conclave in 1960 with 400 Arrowmen at Mare Island. Swegedaigea was moved back to Area 12B, then to Section W3C, and finally found a home in
Section W3A. With its three chapters, Swegedaigea hosted another Conclave at Mare Island in 1981 with 425 Arrowmen participating. In 1986, the Western Region awarded Swegedaigea with the Most Brotherhood Achievement Award. In the spirit of the 75th anniversary of the Order of the Arrow, Swegedaigea began an aggressive camp promotion program. Swegedaigea was committed to showing its pride in its 46 years of tradition.
In keeping with the adoption of the Costanoan language, Ut-In Sélica now refers to each chapter as an Apanuc which means “Village”. The 9 Apanucs are Lu-Pain, Wek-Wek, Ole-li-li, Iowac, Sem-Yeto, Tú Je Sa-Sa, Moluk, Ajapeu, and Swegedaigea. With three council camps to maintain, there are plenty of opportunities for Ut-In Sélica Arrowmen to demonstrate cheerful service. The Lodge runs a controlled twenty-mile hike on the Fagés II Trail once a year. After years and years of trying, the Ut-In Sélica Lodge finally was recognized, for the first time in history, as a National Quality Lodge in 2007 and then again in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
The historical Lodge number for Ut-In Sélica is #58. Ut-In Sélica is associated with Mt. Diablo Silverado Council #23. The existence of two numbers has been confusing in certain situations in recent years. Consequently, for the purposes of national reporting and registration purposes, only the council number (#23) is to be used. Such reporting and registration may take place at events such as the National Order of the Arrow Conference (NOAC) and at conclaves. This directive was issued by the National Order of the Arrow Committee in December 2003.
Lodge numbers have been assigned to each and every OA Lodge established the order started back in 1915. Numbers have generally been issued in the order that Lodges were formed, so that the OA Lodges with the lowest numbers are typically the oldest. In recent years, Lodges were given options to select numbers other than the next succeeding number. In cases where Lodges have opted to select lower numbers, the historical significance of the Lodge numbers has been diminished.
Although only council numbers are now to be used for many reporting and registration purposes, Lodge numbers are not being taken away. This is discussed more fully in national OA Operations Update 04-9, dated September 2004 (and available on the national OA web site). Many Lodges continue to use their Lodge numbers for numerous purposes, such as displaying them on their insignia (e.g., pocket flaps). Some Scouts and Scouters who collected OA memorabilia do so from a historical standpoint, and therefore order their collections based on Lodge numbers.
Since we have recently undergone the change noted above, there are different ways to identify our OA Lodge. You may see affiliations with your OA Lodge shown as: Ut-In Sélica, Mt. Diablo Silverado Council #23 (as required for national reporting and registration); as Ut-In Sélica Lodge #58 (like on the standard issue pocket flap); or even just with the Lodge name and #23 (council number).